Monday, August 9, 2010

August Update

August has begun to cool down. The rabbits are taking a sigh of relief and the garden is exploding with the few days of rain.

Mitchell's Lil One, a broken chestnut agouti Mini lop has been showing off her litter of chestnuts and broken chestnuts. The little bundles are popping in and out of the box. They are as cute as buttons.

I just weaned Mitchell's Twilights litter. There are two chocolates, two lilaces and three sables?. Only one is a doe. They are the friendliest litter of lops yet this year. They crawl all over my hands as I feed them hay. A very fun litter.

Posey's Raven, a black Silver Marten doe just raised a litter of five blacks, sired by Preston's Jericho/Soldier. This was his last litter in the barn before he headed to a new home and herd.

Moonstruck's Onyx had a large litter of 8 kits today sired by Silver Streak's Blue Manchoo, my new buck from Scott Rudolph. I am really excited to see how this litter turns out. They all look like blacks but not 100% sure. I just peeked and counted as Onyx was giving birth this afternoon.

Moonstruck's Rosemary is expecting a litter sired by S&K Froy. See hasn't been working on a nest yet so she may have missed....... will palpate her tomorrow to check.

Willow's Catalina is bred to Posey's Kayden my new REW buck from Sunnybrook Rabbitry. I will find out more of Kayden's genetics with the arrival of his first litter.

Most of the Mini lops in the barn are either in or just finishing a heavy summer molt so I will hold back on breeding anymore lops for a few weeks. I may try to breed one or two Silver Marten does this month and will probably be the last litters for this season. I hope to get Magic & Tori bred. Springer will be old enough for breeding after the show season. I am hoping to have litters sired by all three new herd bucks this season.

Most of the chickens are moved into their fall/winter digs. I only have a few extra roosters to find new homes for. I will post again after the show season.

No comments: